Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Southern Dialect-Carter

I was born in Georgia, so I’m from the south. However, I don’t have a southern accent. I believe this is because both of my parents are from Oklahoma, and their voices are what I grew up hearing and developing my speech in to. I personally don’t like the southern accent mainly because of what the media has turned it in to. When I think of a southern accent, I think of Larry the Cable Guy. Even though this is not how most people from the south talk, it’s what comes to mind when I think of a southern accent and it is extremely annoying. He takes the accent and turns it in to what people assume it sounds like and just fits it in to the stereotype. People like Larry the Cable Guy are why people with southern accents are associated with being just downright dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment