Southern accents are definitely a characteristic of the south that are widely thought of in many different ways. Since I'm from Virginia, we still have some southern accents, but I would have imagined that Georgia would have had more. So far, I haven't experienced as strong of a transition as I would have thought. I thought that most people would have a fairly strong accent that were from Georgia, but that hasn't been the case. I've been outside Atlanta a couple times this year, and there is definitely a difference here than Virginia, but it isn't nearly as significant as I thought it would be.
Even with my lack of exposure to southern accents, I still don't think that they are disappearing. I think that I've just been to areas of Georgia where heavy accented people just don't go to as much as lighter accented people might. I've heard from several local Georgia residents that there are definitely still pockets where there are heavy country accents. Also, regardless of where I am I still hear words like Y'all and other southern slang more than I normally would in Virginia.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment