Tuesday, April 6, 2010

New Topics: Southern Dialect - Wier

One defining southern characteristic is the southern accent. There are many variations of a southern accent, but when you think of a southern accent, most people generally think of a southern drawl. Many people see a southern accent as a sign of stupidity or ignorance given the slow, relaxed manner of speech and often lazy pronunciations. On the other hand, many people are proud of having a southern accent because they believe it shows a sense of refinement, like what you see in Gone With the Wind.

I have lived in the south my entire life, yet because I grew up around Atlanta, I never had constant exposure to a southern accent and never developed one. I do however find myself slipping into a distinctly southern accent at times though. I believe this to be the case all over the south as communities diversify and kids are exposed to the media so early on.

For those of you not from the south, what has your experience been with southern accents? Have you encountered them often, or do you think they may be gradually disappearing? For those of you from south, do you think you have a southern accent, and if so, what's your opinion of having one? What makes the southern accent so special?

No comments:

Post a Comment