Hey, I’m Carter Owens and this is a blog about southern identity. More specifically stereotypes people think of when someone mentions the word ‘southerner’ to them. Most often these stereotypes are harsh and unrepresentative of what most southerners are. I was watching T.V. the other day, Family Guy to be exact, and it was the episode where the Griffin family goes under witness protection in The South. This particular episode is filled with stereotypes about southern ‘rednecks’. I could only find one scene from this episode, but there are many other references. Some of the main ones are how the highest score on a test in school was done by a pig, one of the local boys referencing towards Meg says, “Man, I sure hope her brother don’t got dibs on her.”, and some other references to the Dukes of Hazzard.
This Family Guy episode is not introducing anything new, but just continuing the stereotypes that already exist. It portrays southerners as being dumb, dumber than pigs in this case, and not caring about incest. I have heard people joke all the time about how you can date your cousin in Alabama.
Although the episode was hilarious, I don’t think it is an accurate description of what southerners are like. It may be the case in some backwoods trailer parks, but it definitely is not the south as a whole.
This Family Guy episode is not introducing anything new, but just continuing the stereotypes that already exist. It portrays southerners as being dumb, dumber than pigs in this case, and not caring about incest. I have heard people joke all the time about how you can date your cousin in Alabama.
Although the episode was hilarious, I don’t think it is an accurate description of what southerners are like. It may be the case in some backwoods trailer parks, but it definitely is not the south as a whole.
No comments:
Post a Comment